It seems to be the universal state of being for a parent, but it is hard to not want to gush about your child. It's not that I think that T is better, smarter, etc. It's just that it is hard not to experience a little of the world again through their eyes. To get excited about holding an ice cream cone for the first time (like tonight at grandma and grandpa's). To think that dogs are the funniest things on the planet, next to mom, dad and cousins. To want to stop and touch all the snow on our walk and say "oooohhh, ooohhh". To escape naked and run to your playroom so mom will come get you and take you back to the bathroom. To laugh when eating a lemon because it is so sour and Aunt S is making funny faces too.
Do you see what I mean?
And it is incredibly hard not to feel joy when she discovers how to say a new word. And what she chooses to say fascinates me. Snap. Shower. Babi. HI Hi HI Hi Hey Hey. AAhh AAHH BBbb Sccc. Yi Yi yoooO (for E I E I O.)
Or be glad when she tries to make friends. That she can communicate with me by signs. To know she thinks about not thowing the food off the side of her high chair, as fun as it is, and hands it to me instead. To build towers with blocks that I would never attempt and somehow work. Then laugh as she pushes it all down again.
These are the daily moments that to anyone else but T or K or I must seem trivial and boring.
I wouldn't trade them for anything.
After her bath every night, I put her in my lap facing me, cover her with a towel, and she always leans into me for a nice long snuggle. I tell her: "The is one of my favorite parts of the day." and "you are my sweet girl". I say: "Mommy loves you." I think: "How do I make this last? When will she stop wanting this too?" And I hold on tighter because I have this moment, right now, and I know there will come a day when the world becomes a bit dimmer for her. When the little accomplishments don't feel as important. When life feels more complicated. When she stops leaning in.
Until then. Oh, the wonder days are good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I hear ya...I often wish that I could freeze time until I feel more ready for my girl to grow. T is such an incredibly cute and sweet girl...we love being close enough that we can know her and her little ways
You are the best writer and momma :).
Post a Comment