K has been sick. Real sick. For about two weeks now. In addition to being sick, he has found out that he is allergic to penicillin after a 7 day course of it and breaking out in a full body rash. (Five days later, and he still looks pretty. Don't come by, I'll make him show you his belly). I know it has been hard on him- if anything I can empathize and relate to being sick for extended periods of time. (Cough, cough, pregnancy....)
But really, truly, honestly, I got sick of his being sick. You step up because you have to, because it needs to be done. You get busy and put your head down and push along. I made it a little over a week. After, it just got progressively harder to fill the role of mom and dad. Not that I could or even would do much about it, as I tend to internalize all that frustration and let it bust me up. Tear me down.
So last Saturday I went to the temple with my family (with the exception of K, of course). I wasn't too excited to go. It has been a long, long time for me. Years (yes, that has a s on the end). I felt like staying home and taking a much needed nap.
Then, sitting quietly in the Celestial room, I felt so much love. Joy. Peace. Just the overwhelming sense that God knows who I am and loves me. Silly old me. Neurotic me. Tired me.
And it occurred to me that if He loves me as much as I love my family, K, T- Then I am one lucky girl.
Happiness.
Attitude Adjustment.
This busy Easter weekend would have not been as good as it was for me had I not gone on Saturday. I was singing again. K found me laughing at stuff that would have put me in a worse mood only hours before. I came home from the temple to find K wanted to go to, but was unprepared to, head to the Brown family Easter party. We were going to be late and miss the egg hunt! But, it just didn't seem to be so bad. (Luckily, we did make it a few minutes before it started).
Sunday we had my whole family over for the first party at the new joint. From the sickness to the holiday to the drama of my family, it was the perfect storm waiting to happen. The stress monkey was oddly very quiet. I ENJOYED it.
I am not so naive to think that this will last indefinitely. But I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes blessings come when you least expect it. When you need them the most. When you are quiet enough to become aware that alone is not the only option.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Awesome post - after a stressful day it made me feel better...thanks for sharing :)
Isn't it awesome how the temple can make you feel better, even when it doesn't fix anything? Hope K gets feeling better.
Post a Comment