Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bookends

I grew up with Simon and Garfunkel. One of the most beautiful and touching songs I have ever heard was Bookends:
Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence
A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you

I had thought that this kind of introspection was only given to those in the winter of their lives. This past week I was given the chance to visit with an old friend, and as we talked and looked at old photos, "Bookends" came into my mind. Those days, so long ago, had a simplicity I never truly appreciated. But those memories, they are not all that is left you. There is the renewing of friendships, the joy of laughing about life, the the discovery that those people you know from photographs are just as fascinating and inspiring as they used to be.

No comments: