Thursday, January 11, 2007

Top Reasons Why Texas Rocks

I recently returned from a trip to my hometown of Houston, Texas. It occurred to me that there are some pretty great things about Texas-

1. BBQ- The Goode Co. is by far the most spectacular BBQ I have ever eaten. Still as good as it was 15 years ago- the Stuffed BBQ Potato is next to heaven.

2. U-Turn lanes. Those handy little lanes are soo useful for a driver like me.

3. Year round snow cones. All those who know me know what a fanatic I am about food, especially shave ice, mmmmmmmmm.

4. Tex-Mex. Again, with the food, I know, but...... mmmmmmmm.

5. Old-Fashioned Politeness. It can almost be jarring how different you feel you are being treated when you are bombarded with the "Yes, Mam"'s "Have a good day"'s, etc. They may not all mean it when they say it, but it is so nice to hear it.

6. Pride. I know that my significant other does not get this, but many people in Texas really REALLY love Texas. The same goes for my hometown. I can't believe how many Maroon and Gold shirts I saw around town - who would wear that color combination normally?

7. Good, I mean GREAT shopping. Grocery stores that make you happy you are a Veggi-a-saurous, Meat-a-saurous, or Chocolate-a-saurous. And the clothes- ooooo, the clothes.

8. Memories. It's good to find happiness in the little stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning a couple of us gals went for a run in Memorial Park (which is one of the top reasons to love Houston). Afterward we were in a convenience store getting the materials for breakfast tacos when I started talking about a pain in my foot that I've had ever since hiking at Enchanted Rock last year.

Amber caught the eye of a man standing nearby who seemed to want to add something to our conversation. He was hesitant at first, but told us about how his foot had been hurting for a year after he kicked his motorcycle (I'm sure there was another great story there) and someone told him to do a certain stretch every morning before getting out of bed and the pain went away in three days. He demonstrated the stretch and told me to try it.

I really value instances where you're connecting with a stranger, or can make a stranger laugh. I don't know if those things happen more in Texas, but I imagine that if people are more polite here, they're also more willing to engage a stranger.

Anonymous said...

Wait... what was the stretch? Is this the miracle I've been waiting for?Is it applicable to other body parts?

I like kolaches. You can't leave out the kolaches!