
Most people who know me understand that I come from a family of foodies, so it should be no surprise that our recent trip to Oahu, Hawaii was all about the food. (OK, fine, and the beach too.)
I will need to make a separate post about shave ice- an obsession of mine- so that leaves us with our favorite discovery- Beard Papa's.
For Father's Day I wanted to go to breakfast, but it took us awhile to get out the door, so our options were limited. The $40 brunch at our Hotel was not, ummmm, palatable, so we wandered over to a local mall to find something there. After some confusing detours (where is Foodland?) and some excitement with escalators and the stroller we made it to a Beard Papa's (BP).
BP is a Japanese chain that sells all-natural fresh made cream-puffs. It is an interesting little process. They make the shells daily and then wait until you decide what flavor filling you want to fill them with this .
I'm not the biggest fan of cream puffs, it is more K's thing, but wow. The Haupia (coconut) cream puff had me MMMMmmming out loud, even after it was finished. I did not realize the Japanese were such good pastry makers. Ignorance is not always bliss.
As we sat there eating, I realized how appropriate it was for us to eat there on Father's Day. Looking at K it dawned on me, he's our Beard Papa. He decided to quit shaving at the beginning of our trip, so he was starting to get nice and scruffy. (you should see round two now). A little like the logo for BP. Just get him a Zissou-esque hat and a pipe. And another cream puff.

For Father's Day I wanted to go to breakfast, but it took us awhile to get out the door, so our options were limited. The $40 brunch at our Hotel was not, ummmm, palatable, so we wandered over to a local mall to find something there. After some confusing detours (where is Foodland?) and some excitement with escalators and the stroller we made it to a Beard Papa's (BP).
BP is a Japanese chain that sells all-natural fresh made cream-puffs. It is an interesting little process. They make the shells daily and then wait until you decide what flavor filling you want to fill them with this .
I'm not the biggest fan of cream puffs, it is more K's thing, but wow. The Haupia (coconut) cream puff had me MMMMmmming out loud, even after it was finished. I did not realize the Japanese were such good pastry makers. Ignorance is not always bliss.
As we sat there eating, I realized how appropriate it was for us to eat there on Father's Day. Looking at K it dawned on me, he's our Beard Papa. He decided to quit shaving at the beginning of our trip, so he was starting to get nice and scruffy. (you should see round two now). A little like the logo for BP. Just get him a Zissou-esque hat and a pipe. And another cream puff.



1 comment:
Mmm, yum.
Post a Comment