Saturday, July 19, 2008

On My Mind

I find that I often compose posts or e-mails in my head while I am doing mundane things, i.e. washing bottles, folding laundry, going to sleep, (and man, have there been some good ones!) but I seem to have trouble actually writing the thoughts down.

To help me get going, my goal this week has been to post once a day.

I didn't like writing that. Even though I am on day four, I am superstitious in a way because it seems like if I declare my goals somehow they are less likely to get done than if I simply keep it on my mind and do them. To publicly declare it is to jinx it.

So there it is, out in the open.

And as long as I am in full disclosure mode, K and I had one of those great silly conversations recently where I inadvertently disclosed something about myself that is both embarrassing and weird. (Well, more than the last confession). It started out by my saying that I don't like to look at myself in pictures. Or see my reflection in mirrors, especially in the morning, 'cause in my head I like to pretend that I have much less crazy hair, no makeup smeared under my eyes, and a youthful tanned glow. K said "Wow, the brain Z must be hot!" We both laughed, but now I have been thinking about the brain Z. Am I the only girl out there who doesn't necessarily like to picture herself as they really are in the mirror?

Here's another truth, it is weird to suddenly have a name for the me in my head. Naming body parts is not what I do. True, it's not like it is a far cry from my real name, OK any distance at all. And I guess I could even give my mental self image a better name, like Gretta or Cassandra. But, it just seems like it is the gateway to more weirdness. Next it will become the third party in conversations like: "Well, the brain Z says..." or the "Cassandra thinks that..." (Carl Malone say...). Which won't happen.

At least not yet. I am sure it could happen some day. If not for the laughs.

Or the self-esteem pick me up.

Here's to the Brain Z.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

At least it's not Damien...that would be bad. Although, then you would have a great excuse to do really bad things because you could say, "Damien made me do it."

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I always thought you had another name for yourself. I imagined something a little more exotic, like uhhh... I don't know. Something with Flair!

Z said...

Lish- True, Damien would be a good "evil me" choice.

S- I just threw those names out there- Cassandra because of Wayne's World and Gretta because it seemed silly. If I were to really choose, you bet it would be more exotic. How's Birtha?

Mylie said...

Well if it makes you feel any better I like to look at myself in pictures in hopes that I'll look better i.e. thinner.

Doesn't work that way.

Z said...

True My- but there is always Photoshop ;)